Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Equality

When have you ever known my blog to get political or controversial?  What's that?  Never?  Well, you're right there.  But I recently read an article that compelled me to make some of my thoughts known, and in a public way.

The following quote, from holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel, spoke loudly to me: "I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation.  We must always take sides.  Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim.  Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."

North Carolina, what is up with this whole proposed constitutional amendment banning the recognition of any same-sex unions?  This is such a disappointing turn of events, seeing as how gay marriage is already illegal in the state.  Is it really necessary to spend your precious legislative time barking up this tree?  Is this really the most important issue we have to deal with, in a state where unemployment is topping 10%?

I cannot possibly compete with the eloquence of this article, so I will not try to.  But I implore you all to read it.

And I will say this: I so look forward to the day when two people who love each other- ANY two people who love each other- are granted to the right to stand up in front of their families and friends and declare their love for one another, sealing their union into a legal marriage recognized by all.  

And when this proposed amendment hits the ballots this May, I sincerely hope to see it go down in flames.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...