Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Movie Review: Easy A

With J out of town, I've been able to watch Sex and the City, Beverly Hills, 90210, and The Nanny reruns to my heart's content.  But with my brother around this past weekend, I figured I'd cut the guy a break and we'd choose a movie from our ever-expanding collection.

We chose Easy A, starring the trendy and popular Emma Stone.
Let me start by saying that this movie was not at all what I thought it would be.  I was expecting a comedy of the raunchy variety.  Not so much.  It's more of a dialogue on what it means to be popular and accepted in the cruel world of high school.

Let me follow up by saying that this movie was actually pretty good.

The story is about a high school virgin nobody, who inadvertently starts a rumor that she slept with a college man.  Word spreads like wildfire, and before you know it, she is on the map, and with a reputation as a Grade A slut to boot. 

Although Emma Stone is very good in her role, the supporting characters were fantastic.  Her kooky parents, played by Patricia Clarkson and Stanley Tucci, added a zaniness that was just the right amount of comic relief.  And Amanda Bynes played her judgemental-religious-zealot-Jesus-freak with such gusto that she actually made my skin crawl.  Well done.

The movie had a nice balance of serious moments, funny one-liners, and of course, the obligatory romance (although not of the chick-flick variety). 

Overall, while this may not have been A+ entertainment, I'll give it a solid B-.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...