Monday, November 28, 2011

Exceptional Eats: Sparkling Cranberry Brie Bites

Holy wow, are these things good.

I made them as my one pre-dinner snack on Thanksgiving.  Since people were drifting in at different times, some coming from one celebration to the next, some arriving utterly starving, I wanted to have a little snack available for those who needed one.

I found this recipe on Pinterest, and when I saw the pin, I knew I had to attempt these.  Aren't they just so pretty?
I'm quite sure the Martha would be totally amazed at my mad skillz if she saw these.

Turns out, they are also delicious.

Neither J nor I had ever actually eaten a fresh cranberry.  So when I brought them home from the store, I was  anxious (and scared!) to try one.  I made J eat one first.  And even though he made a scrunched up, unhappy face and declared that they tasted like something you're not supposed to eat, I tried one as well.  Turns out, he was right.  Fresh cranberries are not good.

But then, following the recipe, I sweetened them up.  And suddenly they tasted magical.

Pairing them up with crackers and Brie made for a delightful little appetizer.  (I also put the leftover sugared cranberries out in a silver bowl, and I seriously couldn't stop eating them.  Like candy, I tell you.)

Try these.  For real.

Sparkling Cranberry Brie Bites
makes about 16

Sugared Cranberries:
2 cups fresh cranberries
1 cup good maple syrup
1 cup granulated sugar

Rinse cranberries and place in a medium bowl.  Heat syrup in small sauce pan just until warm.  Pour over cranberries when syrup is warm, not hot, or cranberries may pop.  Cool, cover, and let soak in the refrigerator overnight.

Drain cranberries in a colander.  Place sugar in a large bowl or baking dish.  Add cranberries in two batches and roll around until lightly coated in sugar.  Place on a baking sheet until dry, about one hour.

16 crackers
8 oz. Brie cheese
cranberry chutney or relish
fresh mint for garnish

Assemble crackers with one slice of Brie, a light layer of cranberry relish, and three or four sugared cranberries.  Garnish with fresh mint.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I'm glad you enjoyed my recipe! I would love if you would link to my site though, as I work hard on my recipes. Thanks!

    http://www.yummymummykitchen.com/2011/11/sparkling-cranberry-brie-bites.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...