Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween!

'Tis the time of year when children dress in costumes and go door-to-door, seeking candy from their neighbors.  Pumpkins are carved into jack-o-lanterns.  Adults sometimes enjoy a fun costume party.  And Betsey watches a scary movie.

I am not normally a big fan of the horror movie.  Why, you ask?  Because I am a big baby, that's why.  My mind cannot stop thinking about the horror and replaying it again and again, leading to a minimum of one sleepless night.  But around Halloween each year, I decide to get into the spirit and watch a scary movie with J.  He actually likes them (if they're good), though he is rarely actually afraid.

Last night, we were both afraid.  Even J claims he had just watched the scariest movie he'd ever seen.
Yes, the quote atop this movie poster is indeed correct.  Paranormal Activity is most definitely one of the scariest movies of all time.  And those guaranteed nightmares?  Yep, I had 'em.

After watching, J and I went to bed.  My brother was here with us...he chose to stay up to watch another movie before bed- definitely a comedy.  I chose to turn the tv on in our bedroom and watch a few old episodes of "Sex and the City"- with the lights still on, of course- until I felt mentally prepared to attempt sleep.

After two episodes, I decided we could turn the lights off, and that I would try to drift off while watching the third episode.

J fell right asleep.  Apparently the whole "demon watching you while you sleep" aspect of the movie hadn't gotten to him like it had gotten to me.  I did finally fall asleep- for about 40 minutes.  This is when I awoke from my first nightmare.  I stayed awake for awhile, trying to think of puppies frolicking in flowery meadows and other such pleasantries, then finally fell back asleep.  Only to awake about an hour later, after my second nightmare.

And so the cycle continued until about 2:30, by which time I was in a complete state of terror.  At this point, I really had to use the bathroom.  Truthfully, I had had to go since about midnight (curse you, pregnant bladder), but was too scared to get out of bed...even though I had left the light on in the bathroom.  Then it dawned on me that J usually wakes up when I get out of bed in the middle of the night.  I wanted him to be awake so badly!  So I started the arduous process of rolling myself out of bed.

Jackpot!  J woke up and asked how I was sleeping.  I told him that I really wasn't, due to all of the horror in the nightmares that wouldn't leave me.  I made him stay awake at least until I returned from the bathroom safely.  Then I realized that even with him awake and holding my hand, I wouldn't be able to fall asleep without taking more drastic measures.

So with J's permission, the tv came back on.  And I turned on "The Little Mermaid."  Because I am a firm believer that nothing bad can happen while "The Little Mermaid" is on.  Right?
Ariel got me from 2:30-4:00.  When that movie ended, I knew that dark and quiet still wasn't an option.  So I turned on "Lady and the Tramp."  (I didn't want to wake J up again flipping through our endless movie database, so I just stuck with the L section and found the first non-threatening-in-any-way movie I saw.)  About halfway through that, I finally gave into the sleep.  And no more nightmares.

Ah, morning light.  How I love you today.

SO- to make a short story long, "Paranormal Activity" is the scariest movie ever. Period.  "Paranormal Activity 2" may give it a run for its money, but I promise you that I will never find out firsthand.  And PLEASE, someone remind me next Halloween that I DO NOT need to watch a scary movie to "get into the spirit."

Pumpkin carving is most likely a much safer bet.

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...