Friday, October 15, 2010

We're Going to the FAIR!

Yes, I know there is very little for a pregnant lady to do there.  I can't ride any of the rides, and there is a more than decent chance that the smells of the animals will make me want to hurl.

But what CAN I do?  EAT.  And I'm pretty excited about it.

For those readers who are not local, the State Fair is a BIG deal here in North Carolina.  In fact, when I started teaching in this great state, the powers that be in the school district always scheduled a teacher work day on the opening day of the fair, since so many kids would miss school that day to attend the festivities. 

There is no longer a teacher work day (silly laws), but lots of kids will be at the fair, nonetheless.  I tell my students that it's okay for them to miss my class to attend the fair, as long as they bring me back a caramel apple with no nuts.  (It works, too.  I got 4 or 5 last year.)  But this year, I'll be getting my own appley treat!

Shockingly, although this is the 8th fair to come around since my big move south, it will be my first time attending!

On the agenda:
  • Funnel cake
  • Corn on the cob
  • Cotton candy
  • French fries
  • Deep fried something-or-other
  • Funnel cake (I know this one is already on the list, but I feel that it bears repeating.)
  • And of course, a caramel apple
I think I will skip the burger sandwiched between two Krispy Kreme doughnuts, even though I heard this concoction is magically delicious.

Big concerts this year, too!  Remember Danny Gokey from American Idol?  He'll be there!!  (Note the sarcasm here...even though I did love me some Danny while he was a contestant on AI.)

SO, basically, eating and people watching at the fair is my big upcoming excitement.  And I'm sure that the people watching will be fantastic.  People come down out of the hills for this major annual event...I live in the south, remember?

Ooh, and J says there are pig races!  Racing pigs!!

And before your lectures, I fully expect to be swollen and full of regret on Monday.  But what other time in life is it okay for someone to go to the fair and indulge this way?

Hey, I'm eating for two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...