Saturday, August 6, 2011

30 Day Challenge | Day 28: Favorite Movie

Can anyone truly narrow movies down to their one and only favorite?  Really?  Okay, maybe some people can.  But I'm not some people.  So you're getting my top five!

Good Will Hunting
Even though every time I see or hear mention of Matt Damon, I picture his puppet character self in Team America (Matt Damon!), I do believe he is actually a brilliant actor.  It's hard to believe that he, along with Ben Affleck, wrote such a beautiful screenplay.  The story is superbly acted by the duo, along with Robin Williams, in what I believe to be his most magnificent role to date.  My favorite line: "Do you like apples?  Yeah?  Well I got her number, how do you like them apples?" 

The Breakfast Club
I admit it.  I have a girl crush on the 1980s Molly Ringwald.  I love all of her moments of teenage angst played out on the big screen.  John Hughes was a genius!  I love all of his films featuring Molly, but The Breakfast Club is my favorite.  That's probably because I also have a little crush on 1980s Judd Nelson, the bad boy of the film.  As bad as he may be, however, I believe he speaks words of wisdom that truly apply to life: "Screws fall out all the time, the world's an imperfect place."

Almost Famous
Kate Hudson (my ultimate girl crush- sorry, Molly) plays Penny Lane, a groupie who follows around the great artists of classic rock.  When a high school kid named William gets thrown into the mix, she looks out for him.  I love the drama of the band.  I love the innocence of William.  I love the tortured love affair between Penny and one of the band members.  But I especially love when, after an unfortunate evening, everyone on the bus sings Elton John's "Tiny Dancer" in unison, all brought together by the music.  Gives me chills.

The Little Mermaid
Yes, I am a fan of kids movies.  In fact, there aren't many kids movies I don't like (aside from Up, Bambi, and Dumbo).  There aren't many kids movies I don't own.  J likes them, too.  What can I say?  We're kids at heart.  I love the movies from Disney's Renaissance: The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King.  But The Little Mermaid is my favorite.  It may have something to do with the fact that Ariel is the only ginger Disney Princess.  But I also really love the music.  I could belt out "Part Of Your World" for hours on end.

Forrest Gump
Oh, Tom Hanks, you magnificent man, you.  I love the story of this man, and his undying love for his Jenny.  I love his unexpected friendship Lt. Dan.  I love how even though the world thinks he's stupid, he overcomes great obstacles to become a success.  I also love how this movie gives us a glimpse of history through the decades the story takes place in.  And I love the message that you can love and be loved in return, no matter how smart you are.

BONUS:
As it turns out, J reminded me last night that this was not the original top five that I told him when we first met.  Almost Famous was not on the original list, but The Shawshank Redemption was. 
Cannot believe I almost left this one out!  What a haunting story.  I love the friendship that develops between Andy and Red (oh, Morgan Freeman, how I adore you!).  I love how quiet, stoic Andy manages to become indispensable to crooked warden, while all along plotting how to escape and expose his misdeeds.  I love how two good friends are reunited in the end.  This is a story of beauty.  Now would you believe that it was written by Stephen King?  Craziness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...