Friday, May 4, 2012

Something Wicked This Way Comes

Friends, I admit it.  I am a theater dork.

In junior high and high school, I was in all of the shows.  I was even in a regional theater production one college summer (and got paid not quite enough to cover the cost of gas to and from daily rehearsal, but that's neither here nor there).

I love Broadway musicals.

This week, I was lucky enough to be offered a ticket to see Wicked.  This is the first chance I've had to see this show.  And I've gotta say, for me?  It absolutely lived up to all of the hype.
 Never again will I be able to watch The Wizard of Oz through my previous lens.  Wicked puts a whole new spin on the story of the Wicked Witch of the West.  In this version of the story, she's not wicked at all...merely misunderstood.

The set and music were great.  Songs like "Defying Gravity" and "For Good" were beautiful, and are still running through my head.  But the story is what really grabbed me.  It was clever and interesting.  A story about love and friendship, above all.  It left me in tears.  And just when I thought I had myself under control, Glinda and Elphaba (the witch) came out for their curtain call, and I cried all over again.

If you are an Oz fan, you simply must see this show.  Or even if you're not, but you enjoy the theater, go.  Really?  Everyone, just go.  I'm still thinking about it, days later.

Locals can catch it at DPAC through May 27th.      

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...