Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Resolutions

With all the craziness of the past few weeks, the new year sneaked up on me.  I was busy Christmasing, then party hostessing, and it never occurred to me to look ahead to 2012 with any resolutions in mind.

So I said to myself, "Self, what should your new year's resolutions be?"

And the answer that I came up with?  I don't wanna make any.  It seems like every year I come up with a list of things I'd like to accomplish in the coming year, and inevitably, I fail to meet my goals.  I set unreasonable expectations for myself.  So this year, I'm just not going to do it.  Instead, I will say that there are some general lifestyle choices that I would like to keep in mind. 

I think it would be good to try and live a healthier lifestyle.  Try to get a few more veggies on my plate, and be more active.  I WILL NOT resolve to give up dessert, to spend four hours a week on the elliptical, or to lose x number of pounds.  

I would like to make it a priority to spend quality time with my family.  I WILL NOT resolve to spend hours making sure that there is an exciting craft, outing, or activity planned for each weekend.  Sometimes, quality time can be playing on the floor with our boy, and watching a movie together after he goes to bed.

I would like to do a good job managing our money.  Ideally, this means spending responsibly, in such a way that there is some extra money to be saved at the end of each month.  I WILL NOT resolve to keep my grocery bill under $100 each week, to never eat at a restaurant again, or to live a spartan existence.  Responsibility is all I am asking of myself.

I'd like to read books, laugh often, build things with blocks, not sweat the small stuff, bake a terrific cake,  go on dates with my husband, make memories with my son. 

I want to love life.

Looking ahead to 2012 with these ideas in mind- not resolutions- makes me smile.  I am positive that the year 2012 will be a happy one. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...