Friday, July 30, 2010

Free To Be

Now I realize that I am in a highly emotional state these days, what with the raging hormones and all...but I saw a Target commercial the other day that brought on the tears!

When I was little, I had a record that I played over and over again.  My parents eventually replaced it with a tape.  And finally, as an adult, I bought it on CD for my classroom.

Are there any other children of the 70's or 80's that had a love affair with "Free To Be, You And Me" like I did?
How I loved that album.  I listened to it over and over again.  I longed for William to get that doll, and for Atalanta to win the race, and for Dudley Pippin to catch a break.

This new Target commercial shows some little tykes heading off back to school, while in the background the title track plays.  When I heard it, it stopped me mid-sentence and instantly brought me back to my childhood, laying on the floor in front of the record player, chin propped up on hands, feet swinging back and forth to Marlo Thomas and Friends.

Ah, nostalgia.

Thank you, Target, for bringing me back to those simple days.

Like I needed another reason to love Target, right?

1 comment:

  1. I think I bought that record for you! I loved it as a babysitter! (I am from the sixties...)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...