One year ago today, J and I were in sunny Jamaica. We were there to celebrate the wedding of two good friends, and what a beautiful day it was! Beautiful weather, beautiful bride, beautiful times.
During our time in Negril, we witnessed the most awe inspiring sunsets one could ever dream of, we swam in the clearest blue-green ocean water, we ate incredible jerk chicken from roadside stands, and we went though a whole lotta Red Stripe.
A few fun facts about Jamaica:
- The official national scent of Jamaica is jerk chicken. (And coming in at a close second? Ganja.)
- If you are under the age of 40, the locals will refer to you as "Spring Breakers."
- Jamaica has its own *slow moving* time system...you know, Jamaica time? What we learned from this was that you either go to dinner two hours before you suspect you'll actually be hungry, or bring a bad of Doritos in your purse to tide you over while you wait for your meal. (You think I'm kidding? I actually did this. Yes, seriously.)
- You'll feel rich when you check your account balance at an ATM and it says you have over $200,000 Jamaican dollars. (This is inevitably followed by a feeling of vast disappointment when you return to the states and remember that those are not the same as US dollars.)
- EVERYTHING in Jamaica is "all good, mon." No, it's not a stereotype.
So happy anniversary, SBS and JBS! Thanks for asking us to share your special day with you.