Saturday, August 18, 2012

Eat Mor Beef


Very rarely do I get political on my little blog here, but when something is really important to me, I feel the need to get it out there.  Now is one of those times.  I am aware that I may lose a few readers in the process, but quite honestly, if you find this offensive, good riddance.

And I know I’m a little late to the party here, but it has taken me some time to really think this one through…

This whole Chick-Fil-A thing has been weighing heavily on my mind for the past few weeks.  When I first heard that the company’s President and COO had come out and announced to the world that he and his company were against gay marriage, I had an immediate reaction.  I thought to myself that I would no longer support this business, because I am a strong believer that marriage should be about the love between two people- any two people.

But then I read several posts and comments here and there about how boycotting this business simply because one doesn’t share the beliefs of this man is silly.  After all, this is America, where we are lucky enough to be able to believe in whatever we want to believe, without fear of persecution.  We also have freedom of speech, and can put things out there in the media if we want to.  So should I boycott a business just because I don’t happen to share every part of this man’s belief system?  When surely, even some of my best friends have different beliefs about some things than I do?

I really had to think about this.
 
And then it came to me.  I don’t care that the President of Chick-Fil-A does not have the same values and beliefs as me.  In reality, it’s no surprise that this is the company’s stance.  They are a Christian based company who forgoes Sunday profits so that their employees are free to worship and rest.  And in this great country, we don’t all have to believe the same things.
 
However, I will still be boycotting the restaurant.

My real problem is tied to the money.  Chick-Fil-A uses company profits to help fund organizations that are actively fighting the fight against gay marriage.  And I don’t want one red cent of my (husband’s) hard earned money to go toward supporting a cause that I find ignorant, hateful, and am so vehemently against.

In my mind, this is akin to me saying I’m going to open a lemonade stand, but I’m going to use a portion of my profits to kill puppies and kittens.  Now if I had just said I don’t like puppies and kittens, I’m sure people would still feel okay to buy my lemonade.  Not everyone likes pets.  But when I go a step further and tell you I’m going to use your money for this heinous cause, it just becomes wrong for you to give me your patronage.

So there will be no more Chick-Fil-A in this house.  In the interest of full disclosure, my decision to boycott will have little to no affect on me, as I’m not a fan of the restaurant in the first place.  It will, however, hurt J, who has a serious crush on those spicy chicken sandwiches and creamy milkshakes.  Nonetheless, we feel that for us, this is the right thing to do.
Also, I really a lot of love the Muppets.  I stand with Kermit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...