Friday, April 20, 2012

The Hunger Games, Revisited

Remember back when I wrote this review about The Hunger Games trilogy?  Yes, it was shocking that I had fallen deeply in love with a science fiction series.  That pretty much goes against everything that I stand for, but it happened.  And I embrace it.

You can imagine my excitement at the recent release of the movie.  J and I don't get the opportunity to hit the theater too often, so I assumed I might just have a wait on my hands to get to see this one.  But lo and behold, while visiting J's family for Easter, they sent us on our merry way so that they could have some nugget time all to themselves.  Huzzah!


Movie versions of beloved books always make me nervous.  I get so wrapped up in stories and characters in my mind, and then I am often so terribly disappointed at their screen portrayal.  Folks, I am happy to report that this was not the case with The Hunger Games.

To the director, actors, and screenwriters, I say BRAVO.

This movie was all of the excitement, angst, terror, sadness, and joy that the book was.  Although I love going to the movies, I usually catch myself checking the time somewhere around the halfway point, to see how much longer there is to go.  During this two-and-a-half hour film, I didn't check the time once.

J said he liked the movie even better than the book.  WHOA.

There were moments where I felt even more emotion watching the story unfold on the screen than I did while reading the words on the page.  UNHEARD OF.

The best part, for me, was my renewed love affair with these characters.  After leaving the theater, I couldn't wait to go home and reread the book.  Which I did.  And finished it in a mere weekend.

Bottom line?  Read these books.  See this movie.  I promise that you won't be sorry.



2 comments:

  1. Do you think you would have enjoyed it as much if you hadn't read the books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. It's an amazing story told incredibly well either way.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...