Monday, January 24, 2011

From the Peanut Gallery- Week 35: The Honeydew

Apparently, just so that you all know, the honeydew is slightly larger than the cantaloupe.  Who knew?
This marked the week where I officially turned a million months eight months pregnant.  So as of now, when people ask when I'm due, I can say cheerily "less than a month now!"  Not gonna lie...that feels good.

It feels good not only because I've reached the epically uncomfortable stage of pregnancy, but also because I've had a switch in thinking this week.  I've all of a sudden started thinking about Gabriel as a tiny person.  A real, human little guy, who will be here so soon.  Not just some alien life living in my belly.  I'm not sure what's changed, but his movements are suddenly amazing to me again.  For awhile there, I had gotten so used to them that I don't think I paid much attention to them most of the time.  But now these big shifts and rolls that are happening are so fascinating to me.  When I put my hand on my belly and feel some body part pressing out, I am in awe.

Yep, I'm really ready to meet my son.

And on the lighter side if things...let's talk classes.  This week, we had round two of childbirth class, as well as a breastfeeding class.  Lemme tell ya, good times were had by all!

Childbirth class this week was actually really good.  Our regular instructor (remember Mary Sunshine?) was sick, so we had a sub.  She.was.awesome.  Much more realistic and much less rainbows and unicorns.  We were pleased.  We talked about the different stages of labor and what to expect with each of them.  She even broke down some numbers and times for us, which I know was helpful to my rational, thinking man of a husband.

Then we talked about (and practiced!) some different positions that we could labor in.  I especially liked this part, as almost every position involved J massaging my in some way.  We could sit on the floor and he could massage my shoulders.  Or I could lay over the birth ball and he could rub my back.  All good for Betsey!

In the car on the way home that night, J asked me if hearing all that talk about labor and contractions scared me.  And the real, true reality of it?  It did not.  I left class actually excited to go into labor.  Now don't get me wrong...I know it's gonna hurt, and when the time comes, no amount of massage is going to take away the pain of contractions.  BUT, I really am excited for the moment when I can say "J, I think I'm in labor."  That moment when we know that it's happening, that Gabe is really on his way.  I am truly looking forward to that time.

I also told J that I left that class feeling empowered about my ability to maybe do this without drugs...and that the previous class made me want to sign right up for the epidural just to spite stupid Mary Sunshine.

Now breastfeeding class was a different story.  As it turns out, J and I are not mature enough to attend a class such as this.  There were several times when I looked over at J only to find him with his head turned away from the video screen, desperately trying to suppress his laughter.  And I cannot tell a lie...I had a few of those moments myself.

For instance, when the instructor used the phrase "a mouthful of boob."  Or when she kept talking about (and demonstrating how to make) a "breast sandwich."  Those moments were tough.

But we prevailed, and came away from class with a few interesting tidbits of information.  All I can say is THANK GOD that class was a one-timer, and we don't have to go back for more.  I'm quite sure we would reach the laugh-out-loud stage and be asked to leave.

And now for my favorite part of the week (and I'm sure yours, too, Mimi!)- we had a little photo session yesterday with my good friend Heather at Shugar-Shots Photography.  So instead of one weekly belly shot this week, here are the photographer's favorites from yesterday's session.  I may have more to share after I get to see the rest of the shots, but for now, I am loving what Heather was able to capture for us yesterday.  Enjoy!









No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...