Monday, February 7, 2011

From the Peanut Gallery- Week 37: The Swiss Chard

Apparently Gabe is as long as Swiss Chard.  Whatev.  But look at how tiny the quarter is!
 
Q: How are you feeling?
A: Big.  Super-gargantuan-style-big.  This will forever be known as the week that my "comfy pants," aka my Target yoga pants, no longer fit.  I have been so excited that I've been able to wear my most favorite stretchy pants throughout this whole pregnancy.  Until now.  Now they kinda hurt, and leave big indentations in my skin.  Insert sad face here. 

Q: Any progress toward labor?
A: That would be a big, fat NO.  People ask me if I've "dropped."  Without a previous pregnancy to compare to, I can't say with 100% certainty, but I don't think so.  The signs of this phenomenon include the ability to breathe easier and fewer kicks in the ribs.  Well, baby isn't very big, and uterus is.  He's got lots of room.  I've NEVER had a kick in the ribs or significant trouble breathing.  So these indicators aren't helpful to me.  That being said, I still don't feel like he's dropped.  Pretty much, I feel the same as ever.  No dropping, no contractions, no nothin'.  Insert another sad face here.

Q: How's childbirth education going?
A: Really not too bad.  Both J and I are ready to be done (last class tomorrow- huzzah!), but we've definitely learned some things.  Mary Sunshine is as cheerful as ever, but still a wealth of knowledge.  She's given us lots of strategies for coping with labor, as well several things to discuss with our doctors.  Such as: will I automatically be hooked up to an IV when I arrive at the hospital (no, since I am Group B Strep negative- but I will need a hep lock, just in case), am I allowed to eat or drink while laboring at the hospital (only clear liquids), and how far past my due date will they let me go before they decide to induce (somewhere around a week, but not sooner). 

Q: Are you ready?
A: I can't tell you how often I'm asked this one.  And the answer is a resounding YES.  Aside from feeling ready physically, we are actually prepared in every other way.  With each passing week, I've accomplished one more thing that I'd hoped to complete before the baby arrives.  At this point, my list is dwindling.  My hospital bags are packed, car seat is installed, my desk at work is cleared off and my replacement has been trained, my house is nearing spotless.  The carpets are being cleaned on Thursday...but if Gabe decides to come before then, GREAT.  (Incidentally, my mother had a dream that Gabe was coming on the tenth...that's Thursday...I'm keeping my fingers crossed that her dream comes true.)  I'm really not stressing too badly about anything anymore.  Just twiddling my thumbs, waiting for the big moment.

Ready for the super gargantuan belly shot?  Here it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...